This is a race for intermediate and experienced athletes. Expect cold water, steep hills and difficult cliffside running trails paved with tree roots. Wetsuits will be mandatory for triathletes. While there will be emergency medical support on-site, all participants race at their own risk.
NEW! BBQ POST-RACE
Racers will enjoy some hot food after racing, thanks to our new relationship with Breakaway Cookouts. Race hard, get hungry!
Leg #1: Triathletes. A beach start, running into the chilly waters of Cliff Pond. A .25-mile, rectangular course with lifeguard support.
Leg #1: Duathletes. A narrow, very technical 2-mile run around Little Cliff Pond ending with a beach run alongside Cliff Pond before the transition climb.
Transition climb: All athletes. a difficult, 300-foot stair climb from end of swim to transition area.
Leg #2: All athletes.This is a 3-loop bike course of 9.9 miles on paved roads with very challenging hills. Racers follow signs out of transition, make a left turn onto Nook Road. Continue to the entrance to Area 7. Turn into Area 7 for a loop that brings you back to Nook Rd. Return to Area 6 for your second and third loops.
Leg #3: All athletes. A 3-mile run into the seldom-visited backcountry of DCR-Nickerson State Park. Narrow trails and frequent rocks and roots underfoot require alertness and agility.
- Date: Saturday, October 13, 2018
- Location: DCR-Nickerson State Park, Brewster
- Start time: 9am (NEW!)
- Late registration/packet pick-up: 7-9am at race site morning of race or 4-6pm Friday evening at race site. All participants: BRING ID AND USAT CARD. Check this website beforehand to be sure there is no sell-out!
- Triathlon fee: $110
- Duathlon fee: $110
- Relay Teams: $150
- Additional charges: Non-USAT members will be required to purchase a one-day event insurance license from USA Triathlon. Cost: $15
- Registration deadline: On-line registration will close on October 10 at 5pm. No registration on Thursday, Oct 11. On-site registration Friday night, the eve of the race, on-site from 4-6pm (cash only).
- Transfers: Private transfers will be allowed as long as both parties notify registration personnel by 7am morning of race. There will be no refunds or wait list but race director will try to assist racers to arrange transfers ahead of race date.
- Rain date: There is no rain date. It’s supposed to be the toughest sprint tri in the East! Race director does reserve the right to substitute a trail run for the swim if water temperature is below 55 degrees.
- Relay Teams: Yes! For both the duathlon and the triathlon. Your choice: 2-person or 3-person.
- Timing: Chip timed. Results are expected to be posted to active.com and coolrunning.com within a day. Results link will be posted on this website and the race Facebook page
- Field limit: 150 athletes. Note: the race sold out in 2017
- USAT sanctioned: Results will count toward national and regional rankings. All USAT rules and regulations will apply. Racers are subject to time penalties or disqualification for infractions of USAT rules.
The first 50 racers to register will receive Priority Parking passes which will allow them to enter into Area 6 to park in a reserved and numbered parking spot close to packet pick-up, start/finish, transition and refreshment center. Other racers may park in the general parking lot at the entrance to Area 6. No parking along race route will be allowed.
Registrants for either the triathlon or duathlon may change their mind up to 8am the morning of the race and switch to the other event. This decision must be made BEFORE you pick up your race packet.
Awards ceremony is tentatively scheduled for 10:30am day of race. Medals presented to first-place winner in each age group (both male and female). Those who cannot remain for the ceremony may receive their award by mailing a self-addressed-stamped oversized envelope to the race director.
Volunteers are welcomed. Family members of racers encouraged to volunteer while watching the action. Priority parking, free T-shirt and goodie bag. Please contact race director by October 7 at RD@gutchecktriathlon.com